Sunday, January 4, 2009

What walks down has to struggle back up!

My youngest daughter gave me a pedometer for Christmas. Was that a hint? Nevertheless I have put it on every day since. I was horrified to read on the package that I was expected to walk 10000 incidental steps every day! How would that be possible? And I've found out that so far it isn't! Unfortunately I also read in the newspaper today that 100000 steps are necessary in the course of a week (I suspect that includes all exercise - not just incidental steps) - and for a minute I thought the pedometer could be lost. Only for a minute though.

I am staying in my partner's house this week and he lives way up the hill. I decided, on this, my first day of trying to stay healthy and fit despite my knees, to walk down the hill and along the seafront - just gorgeous - and have a coffee looking out over the ocean. That was the good part. I had to get home which meant walking up the hill. By now the sun was quite strong. I did make it back and walked about 5000 steps. It's a good start because I also have eaten healthily so far today and feel good - my pedometer now reads 6202 - every so often I get up and dance to a track from my ipod - I'm hoping to go for a flat walk when my partner gets home which will add a few thousand more steps. Of course I may have to give in when he says he's tired and wants to sit on the balcony looking out over the ocean with a glass of wine more's the pity! This probably means I'd better get up and do a bit more dancing to the ipod!

No comments: