Monday, January 5, 2009

The heaviest weight of all

That little pedometer is giving me a giant headache! It doesn't weigh anything except on my mind. I looked at it awhile ago and it wasn't even on 2000 steps and it is well into the afternoon.

I have decided that the journey to fitness and health is life long. There is no "when I get there everything will be just right". I won't give my weight because it isn't really important - I still fit into my clothes from last summer, but they are a bit tighter! I have tried going to the gym and I really enjoyed the fitness classes there - in fact the gym is called "enjoy fitness". There is music and plenty of choice, but my knees have given up on me and I can't do a lot of the moves. I don't want to give up because it really is fun - but I don't think walking around on crutches would be that much fun.

While I'm at my partner's place I'm supposed to walk to keep fit - and that is my goal - to enjoy fitness while walking and not hurting any part of my body that I need to keep mobile! I am sure that going to a gym class makes me more hungry and I do tend to eat more - but working up a sweat is good for you, isn't it? My daughters are always telling me I need to do more cardio - doesn't walking come under that category?

The trouble with walking - and I need to work out what I can do about this - is that the timing is so flexible that I have options - should I walk now or later or tomorrow? Gym classes, on the other hand, have a beginning and end time - if I don't turn up I can't do it later. Perhaps what I need to do is make my own timetable for walking so that I enjoy all the benefits of fitness and a gym without damage to important joints. I'll get to work on that one tonight. Now what was it - 100000 steps a week? Phew - that timetable is going to take awhile!

No comments: